Nowadays, hair transplants are a very popular surgical procedure among people who suffer from alopecia or hair loss, since they opt for this alternative to solve this problem and improve their quality of life.
However, despite the advantages hair grafting can offer, there are also disadvantages and contraindications that can be uncomfortable and trigger postoperative side effects.
The side effects that may occur after hair implants are:
- Temporary loss of hair weight.
- Severe itching.
- Scalp pain.
- Swelling of the scalp.
- Infection in the implanted area.
- Appearance of cysts.
- Hair does not grow with the same nature.
WHAT DOES A HAIR TRANSPLANT CONSIST OF?
The hair implant consists of a surgical procedure with local anesthesia in which a certain amount of hair is extracted to transfer it to the areas where there is no hair. The final results appear within five to six months and are lifelong.
The hair implant can be performed with two different techniques:
- Follicular Unit Extraction Technique (FUE): This technique involves extracting follicular units (one by one) from the back and sides of the scalp, then they are classified according to the number of hair contained and finally they are implanted in the area to be repopulated.
- Follicular Unit Transplant Technique (FUT): This method consists of extracting a strip from the central scalp and then dividing it into micrografts to be implanted in the appropriate area.
DISADVANTAGES OF HAIR IMPLANTS
We know that a hair implant brings advantages, however we must be aware that there are also certain disadvantages that can be inconvenient, such as those mentioned below:
- It is not for everyone. Not all people are candidates to undergo the surgical procedure since they must comply with a series of requirements that we will explain in detail later on.
- Difference. Hair does not grow with the same physical properties (thickness, length, color, etc).
- Complications. Some patients may present side effects and complications such as:
- Formation of scabs.
- Detachment of follicles.
- Loss of sensitivity.
- Swelling of forehead and eyelids.
- Special care. If you are an impatient person, this procedure is not the right one for you, since it implies taking safety and hygiene measures, as well as taking certain care to achieve favorable results.
- Time-consuming. Sometimes several sessions are required to complete the procedure, which will give final results six months after the surgery,
- Special products. To take care of your scalp and the grafts after the operation, special products will be necessary for the care and maintenance of what has been done. This means a greater investment for you.
- Price. It has a high cost, usually in Spain a hair implant can have a price of 2,400 to 7,000€.
CONTRAINDICATIONS OF HAIR IMPLANTS.
When suffering from baldness or alopecia, it is normal to look for options to recover lost hair. That is why hair grafts are attractive to many people, but the truth is that not everyone will be able to undergo this surgery.
Why are you not a candidate for hair transplant?
Not all people are suitable for hair transplant, since they must meet a series of conditions for this procedure to be performed on them. If these requirements are not met, the procedure cannot be performed even if the patient wants it.
In what cases is it not possible to perform hair grafting?
The hair graft cannot be performed if
- The person is under 25 years of age. Time must be given to: verify if the hair loss is not due to a hormonal disorder, that the hair loss treatments have an effect, etc.
- You do not have a good donor area, since the hair should not be ultra fine and with little density. Remember that the implant consists of “moving” the hair, that is, moving it from one area to another. If the hair to be implanted is scarce or weak, grafting cannot be performed for any reason.
- You suffer from constant hair loss. The hair loss cycle must have stabilized or the surgery will not be effective, because the newly grafted hair will also be lost if the alopecia continues. In addition, the donor area could be greatly reduced.
- The individual has unfavorable medical conditions, such as heart problems, diabetes or high blood pressure.
- The patient suffers from trichotillomania.
ALTERNATIVES FOR HAIR RECOVERY
Due to the disadvantages and contraindications explained in this article, many people will not be able to have a hair graft even if they need it. However, this is not a situation that completely destroys the desire to recover the hair, since there are other alternatives to have abundant hair.
One of these alternatives are the hair prosthesis, since they have become one of the best hair replacement systems, because not only can they be replaced every certain time, but there is also a wide range of styles, colors, lengths, thicknesses and finishes.
In Newlacecu we have at your disposal hair prosthesis of the best quality, so you can enjoy an abundant and renewed hair. Our prosthesis cover a wide range of styles and colors, take a look!